North Star Human Service Zone

Job Opening: Child Protection Services

This position serves as a Child Protection Worker within the Children and Family Services work unit. The primary purpose of this position is to provide child protective services with the goal of improving safety and well-being of children. This includes but is not limited to: child abuse and/or neglect assessments, referral to services, documentation and attending court hearings. This position will cover child abuse and/or negelect assessments in Divide, Burke and Renville counties with some case coverage in Williams County. This position will cover on call for after hours emergencies for Divide, Burke and Renville counties on a rotation with the other child welfare staff located in these three counties.

Please click here for more information and to apply

The North Star Human Service Zone (NSHSZ) provides social services to Williams, Burke, Divide, and Renville Counties. The services and programs offered by the NSHSZ are designated by the state of North Dakota and are administered in conjunction with state and federal agencies. The NSHSZ is advised by the North Star Human Service Zone Board.

The Zone is formerly known as County Social Services. For more information on child care cost assitance, please click here.

Individuals who suspect a child is being abused or neglected in North Dakota should call 1-833-958-3500 to make a report. Reports can be made between 8 am and 5 pm CT, Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

Childcare licensing is required for anyone providing care to more than 5 children or more than 3 infants under 2 years of age. Licensed providers can participate in the Child Care Assistance Program, if they care for children who qualify, and the USDA Food Program. For more information or if interested in becoming a licensed provider please visit Parents seeking licensed childcare can access information regarding local providers by accessing the Find Child Care link on the Child Care Aware of North Dakota website at:

Nondiscrimination Statement - NSHSZ

This institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex and in some cases religion or political beliefs.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture also prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027), found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410
  2. Fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. Email:

For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at (800) 221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at:

To file a complaint of discrimination regarding a program receiving Federal financial assistance through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), write: HHS Director, Office for Civil Rights, Room 515-F, 200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20201 or call (202) 619-0403 (voice) or (800) 537-7697 (TTY).

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.